Tonight I had a bit of time to do some quick riveting on some elevator parts. I started with finishing the elevator trim motor cover plate by riveting on the Z-channels.
Next I riveted right elevator E-703 and E-704 tip ribs together to form their assembly.
I then moved on to riveting the E-709 rib to the elevator spar. These are flush rivets to allow the WD-605-R-1 elevator horn to sit flush against this rib and the spar.
Now that the easy jobs have been taken care of it’s time to move on to cutting the E-714 counterweights. The plans are easy to follow for the layout and cutting instructions. Below is a picture of the weight with the layout lines.
The next photo is after the weight has been cut. Oops…It looks like I cut the wrong side. Time to source out another weight…luckily for me my buddy Garet had an extra!
When cutting the lead weight, I just used a hacksaw for the rough cutting. By adding a little BoeLube to the saw blade it easily cut through the lead.
Okay, now that I have my head screwed back on straight, I went and attacked the other weight. This time things worked out much better.
Please comment, I love to hear from my readers. Thanks again for coming along for this ride, you make my work worthwhile.
Leave a Reply