The horizontal stabilizer is really starting to come together. Now that I have all the ribs in and drilled, it’s time to take the skins off and once again get access to the internal structure for a little bit of trimming and some more drilling.
With the skins off, you can see that I still have more drilling to do on the forward spar and the HS-3201 doubler.
Having a closer look at the left root rib, you can see that it interferes with the upper flange of the forward spar. I filed the spar flange back until the rib had a bit of clearance.
I also noticed that the new HS-810-1 reinforcing angle I made also needed a bit of trimming as it was sticking up above the upper surface of the forward spar. I marked the angle and then filed it down to the line.
After trimming the reinforcing angle my next step was to match drill the angle to the spar and also through the HS-3201 doubler.
Here is the reinforcing angle when drilled.
This next picture shows that I also drilled the holes for the HS-404 and HS-405 ribs to final size.
In an earlier post I mentioned that I made a shim because it seemed like I would have a gap to fill between the HS-405 root rib and forward spar. In the picture below you can see that now with the final drilling complete, the forward flange on the HS-405 rib is sitting very nicely against the forward spar. No shim required!
Please comment, I love to hear from my readers. Thanks again for coming along for this ride, you make my work worthwhile.